The Tour of Fife 2015: Chariots of Fire

Tour of Fife: Chariots of Fire 4.2M beach race

West Sands sunrise
I've watched the winter sun rise over this beach more times than I can remember. I've run up it with a following wind and returned into headwinds so strong it felt like a great sandy treadmill and I've run down it on still days smiling at the Oyster Catchers dancing in the shallows on their ballerina legs. West Sands feels like home.

I was happy to see the forecast was for a rare northerly wind, making the race tactical but not stressful. At the start line some of the contenders in the women's race were joking with John Mill that we were going to tuck in behind him. He runs at pretty much the lead lady pace so I think he's getting used to us!

Start line. Photo: Harry Mitchell
When I was warming up my breathing didn't feel right and I'd felt sluggish all day but the second the race started I felt good. I was feeling very comfortable and quickly had to make a decision about which group to go with (into the headwind). Akira and Peter were 5m clear and I briefly tried to cross the gap, after 15 seconds into the wind I changed my mind. Ron had told us to not go out too hard on the first night. So I tucked into a small group which quickly fell apart. Then I caught John Mill coming up on my shoulder and tucked in behind him. Poor John then became the train driver for the outbound journey...

John Train Driver Mill
Photo: Vicki Charlton
I was feeling very comfortable and assuming that the rest of the women were just behind me when we hit the deep sand at the top of the beach. I tried to keep my strides short and choppy and just get to the turn. At the turn I was pleased to see a smiling Dave (I think this is why I'm smiling!). 

Just before the turn.
Photo: Peter Bracegirdle
Dave was my first coach when I started running and it's always a pleasure to see him. Turning I looked at the oncoming runners and realised I had a small lead over the next women. Once we were clear of the deep sand I settled into a good tempo pace and enjoyed running down the beach with a tailwind for once. I was sorry to pass John at this point as he had done so much work for the group on the way out.

With Sam, heading for home.
Photo: Vicki Charlton
In my happy place :)
Photo: Vicki Charlton
I didn't look back so I didn't know how much of a lead I was getting until 200m to go when I checked behind me to see if I needed to sprint. Then I heard The Proclaimers 'I'm Gonna Be (500 miles)' playing on the loud speakers and suddenly found my legs had changed tempo!

Happy!
Photo: Paul Roarty
Going into the Tour I really didn't think I had a chance of winning and was hoping for a top 3 finish so was very surprised - and happy - to have a lead after the first race.

Comments

Unknown said…
Wonderful stuff, well done!!!

Popular posts from this blog

West Highland Way Race 2018

Highland Fling 2018

The Speyside Way Ultra