Freedom and Opportunity: 10 miles and 2,500ft ascent in the Ochils

Some people say we make our own good fortune, perhaps we do, but really you need freedom and opportunity on your side.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" - Seneca

Since being told I'd never run again - and being sick enough to believe it - I've been taking more opportunities to run in beautiful places, because I can. On Tuesday I went to a meeting at the University of Stirling. The drive back took me along the foothills of the Ochils. The itch took hold and so this morning I found myself retracing my steps.

I parked up in Tillicoultry and set off up the path. The long stretch of steps kindled a small fire in my quads and I hadn't even got to the properly steep bit yet! From 0.8M into the run the climb got more serious (up to 39% according to Strava).


That was probably the rock climbing stretch... The path proceeded to climb 1,340ft over the next mile. The chill wind carried some rain so I pulled on my Salomon S-Lab light jacket (SO expensive at £90 but worth every penny) before reaching the summit as I knew the wind would be much stronger there. The top of The Law offered the first good view back across the valley.





I had been intending to skirt the side of Wester Kirk Crag and then go up the King's Seat Hill but was happy to add the extra mileage as I could see a trail crossing over further up over Andrew Gannel Hill. The ground was soft and occasionally wet but made for really good running: a chance to stretch the legs after the climb.



I went east off Andrew Gannel Hill, crossing just above the top of Gannel Burn then turning south for the path that leads up to King's Seat Hill.





At the summit of King's Seat I found a round, stone shelter and quickly ducked out of the wind. I had a Bounce Ball (coconut and macadamia) and half my water before heading off down the hill.



The first part of the descent was good running but it quickly became quite technical and steep. My route off Bank Hill was also pretty steep and I surprised some sheep who clearly thought I was on a path less trodden.



I got a better surprise than the sheep, when I saw Castle Cambell nestling in the trees. My second surprise castle in as many weeks!





All too soon I was in the woods and descending towards Dollar. I love running in woods, partly because the ground is usually pretty good (not hard but well-drained) but also because I'm passionate about trees :)

As I emerged into Dollar the band of heavy rain joined me. Distracted I followed a high lane and missed the centre of town (where I had planned to pick up more water). I even started hallucinating and saw a man in a hedge:



When I saw a sign for the Devonian Way I opted to follow it rather than double back for water. Not super smart.



Running along the river towards Tillicoultry I started to feel pretty thirsty... But the route was flat and easy and quick. A couple of miles later I reached Tillicoultry and shot into a shop. While I was choosing a drink I heard the shop girls discussing their results. One said she had got a D and the other said 'well done' - and meant it. This is what triggered the title of this blog - or half of it. In some of the most beautiful places in Scotland, the places we escape to, there are people who don't have the opportunities I've enjoyed, who don't see a future of possibility. It felt a bit like that in Lochaber and Alloa. Outside the shop two teenage boys asked me if I had run up a hill. I started enthusiastically naming the peaks before noticing their puzzled faces. "Why?" they wanted to know.

In the UK we enjoy a freedom that much of the World does not. We do not fear rockets and shells, we have a democratically elected government (like them or not), we have limited corruption, free healthcare and education... But for some there is still little opportunity to change the cards dealt at birth. We cannot make our own luck unless we have freedom and opportunity. If we have those, perhaps we have a responsibility to make the most of it...

This has turned somewhat melancholic, I blame passing so close to the Glen of Sorrow!



Bagged some new Strava QOMs






The Descent

Feet dust the rushing earth, 
fingers skim the air,
arms floating.

The free fall
coming back to earth
of descending
re-inflates the aching soul
this is the everything,

the after effort,
the throwing the climb away
as if it was nothing,

as if the awesome vista
hadn’t left you more breathless
than the leg burning ascent.

The free fall
coming back to earth
of descending
re-inflates the aching soul.
This is my everything

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

West Highland Way Race 2018

Highland Fling 2018

The Speyside Way Ultra