Have excuse, do it anyway. 1: Becka

I won't say the last few months have been easy... However I have been lucky to have people around me  who have thrown inspiration my way just by getting on and doing what they do. People who have 'excuses' not to exercise but who have taken responsibility for their own health and done it anyway.

This is the first of a series of posts about those people. If you're looking for excuses not to exercise, look away now! If you're looking for inspiration I present you with my secret stash :)



Becka in her own words:


When you find yourself in a situation that impedes your health, be it a serious disease or a long-term medical condition, it is easy to succumb to the opinions of the general public. “Poor you”, “you should not do this”, "you cannot do that”, “Don’t travel there”, "Don’t eat that”. However, it is important to learn to listen to your own body (in combination with a sound, knowledgeable physician). I went through a double lung-transplant at a young age and a kidney transplant a few years later. Growing up I was constantly fed with the above expressions, I might as well have been made of china. There are implications and restrictions that follow when you have had a transplant, but more importantly, there are also opportunities. I went against the general opinions around me and decided to pursue a career in neuroscience research, which has earned me a PhD position at one of the leading medical institutes. I also started challenging the idea that my physical condition would not allow normal physical exercise. I joined dance classes, capoeira classes, played squash and took up swimming and jogging, all to the obvious benefit of my overall health status. Naturally, it is important to realise that a medical condition carries limitations. However, it does not by definition mean that you cannot enjoy higher education, a dance class with friends, or a trip to a foreign country, as long as your body responds well to it. 


Becka with my Mum, Buddy and Oli Dog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

West Highland Way Race 2018

Highland Fling 2018

The Speyside Way Ultra