Fife Coastal Path




Last weekend I ran a stretch of the gem that is the Fife Coastal Path with Neil and it was so good I went back twice this weekend! Yesterday was meant to be Elie to Crail but a certain mini lop delayed my departure and I had to go straight to Anstruther to catch the hourly bus. That did though mean I had energy left for another adventure today.


I drove to Crail and hung out with the snowbirds waiting for the 95 bus. I was the only one on the bus without a blue rinse and a backpack. I ran down to the path and took some pictures before deciding to stuff my jacket into my waist bag. It wasn't long before the buff and arm warmers were off too.



I don't really like to stop once I'm running so my iPhone (camera) stayed stuffed in my pack until  the ruins of Newark Castle (near St Monans). The path rises and falls from coast to cliff again and again; opening out onto endless sea vistas and diving down to secluded coves



The undulations of the path and the swoosh of the sea leads to a kind of mindful meditation. I've never really run longer runs completely off road and I've never taken advantage of the coastal path. I think trying to run the section from St Andrews to Kingsbarns put me off. It's not really runnable. The path from Elie to Anstruther is perfect for running, from there on to Crail is tougher, with stretches of slippery boulders and scree.



It's also a bit wilder, bleaker perhaps. I saw some Zwartbles sheep clinging to a steep slope and then discovered that the pigs that Neil and I had found last weekend had had piglets!



Back at Crail the pubs with outdoor seating were bursting with walkers. I noticed a sign outside The Honeypot, a B&B cum café, claiming a sunny garden and went to explore. I found a spot on a bench in the super sweet little garden. It was just like being in somebody's private garden, complete with washing line! I got a toastie, a good one (and not greasy) then treated myself to ice cream. I follow a healthy 'clean' diet around 90% of the time (not in any way calorie restrictive) but it felt like an ice cream kind of day.


Accidental self photo of a totally blissed out and satisfied Tiny Runner:



And, in other news... I recently discovered a company that make decent organic skincare and makeup. They're called Green People and were founded by a mum looking for products for a daughter with severe allergies. I'm excited about trying the shampoo and conditioner as the Dr Organics range from Holland and Barrett just leaves my hair lank. I'll keep you posted!



Maybe I should get some make up too so I can join Katherine Jenkins in looking good whilst running! Frankly if I was a celebrity running the London Marathon I would have been wearing a good BB cream and waterproof mascara... or maybe Eylure lashes LOL.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

West Highland Way Race 2018

Highland Fling 2018

The Speyside Way Ultra