The Fife AC Midweek Series: Marginal Gains

The Fife AC midweek series includes five races with four to count.

St Andrews 5K: a flat 5K on grass
Strathkiness-Blebocraigs: an undulating, 4.5-mile trail race
Hill of Tarvit: an undulating 5.5-mile mixed terrain race with a climb to the top of the Hill of Tarvit in the middle
Newburgh: an undulating, 4.23-mile race overlooking the Tay.
Balmullo Trail Race: a race over tracks to the top of Lucklaw Hill and back

I wasn't yet well enough for the St Andrews 5K so needed to run the rest. Through the series I have been able to compare my times with 2011 (prior to 18 months of being too unwell to race). At Strathkiness I was 44 seconds slower, at the Hill of Tarvit I was 11 seconds faster, at Newburgh I was 69 seconds ahead of my 2011 self. So I was really keen to see what I could do at Balmullo.

Balmullo was also the chance to secure first place in the series overall. I had to beat my nearest rival and finish in the top four to win. After 18 months off racing I had a heavy emotional investment in winning the series. This meant I spent the entire day buzzing with adrenaline!

I warmed up with a mile and a half of easy running, followed by Ron's dynamic warm up.

My nerves began to settle when we lined up and then we were off and I was struggling to hold my place as everyone jostled for space on the farm track. I pulled into the (female) lead over the first 150 metres of so. After that I kept reminding myself that only the first half was going to hurt, I could push on as if the race was only 2.5 miles uphill... There are some short sharp descents too in the first half and I picked up a stitch. On the final stretch of the climb I slowed to try and stretch this out as I knew it could get worse going down. I tried to see if there were any women within sight behind me but couldn't pick anyone out, but women can hide quite well behind men!

I love the top of Lucklaw hill, it reminds me of the little hills in the Bluebell Woods (in Hertfordshire, where I grew up), with its narrow, wriggly paths through the shrubs. There is also a pretty good view back across Fife from the top. Then came the descent. I love descending. Being not-quite-5ft 2 inches tall helps, plus a love of going downhill fast...

Ron, my coach, was watching the race unfold through binoculars (I didn't know this at the time!) and said afterwards that I was grinning from the top down. There was so much emotion wrapped up in this race and once I was at the top I knew that - barring accidents - I was going to win. Plus it was virtually all downhill from there!

I crossed the line 80 seconds faster than in 2011.

I am amazed by how much I have improved, both over the course of the series and over my 2011 times. Certainly following Ron's training schedule to the letter (not adding stuff, switching sessions around or running 3hrs on the road every Sunday) has helped enormously as, although it's tough, it allows for recovery too. But I think there is also a measure of 'marginal gains' at work. Lots of small changes have led to small improvements which, when added together, have equalled a larger one. I have changed my diet (limited processed foods, no added sugar and no alcohol, more protein, less dietary histamine), I'm on medication to mediate the effects of the mastocytosis, I do weight training twice a week and get 8.5 hours of sleep a night. I also have the support of my family and club mates which makes everything better!

My illness is chronic but at the moment it is staying mostly in the background. I have days where I feel like I've suddenly come down with the flu and the pain and exhaustion are almost overwhelming, but since I got back to training those days are becoming farther apart.

I strongly believe in the restorative powers of exercise both for the physical and the emotional health. I am aware that my health could deteriorate so I'm determined to enjoy running and racing whilst I can. Within the pack at many of these races are men and women in their 70s and those with heart conditions and pacemakers. I take strength from their determination and our shared love of the most natural, inclusive sport there is. Keep on running.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

West Highland Way Race 2018

Highland Fling 2018

The Speyside Way Ultra